New Years 12/31

As the New Year begins, I am reminded of all the memories I have made this year. I consider myself a self-reflective person, so looking back at my year is something I love to do. I am reminded of all the happy, sad and frustrated moments and how I made it through all of them — I find comfort in that. 

As always, a new year brings with it new New Year’s resolutions. Twitter and Facebook seem to automatically populate themselves with posts about leaving toxicity and bad memories behind in 2019. People like to comment on how 2020 will be the year where they will lose weight or be more positive. 

Although these posts are meant to be hopeful and optimistic for the new year approaching, I find them to be annoying and cynical about the previous year. This is not to say that the previous year could have had bad moments — it definitely could have. 

However, I think to label a whole year as bad or good is too simple, especially when we often only have the power to control our attitudes and not the situations we face. I see each year as a year of growth and progress, which is how I am seeing my New Year’s resolutions this year. 

For the past few years, I have begun to intentionally develop a more positive outlook on life. I did this in small ways such as changing my lock screen on my phone to something motivational each week. By doing this, I started to rewire my brain into thinking each day and each week is a new opportunity for happiness. This is not to say I was never sad, but it taught me to recognize the power in new days and new opportunities. 

If you were to ask me previous years what my New Year’s resolution was, I’d probably say I wanted to read a book a week or commit to a regular running schedule — all of which failed.

This year, however, I plan to not focus on an annual resolution but a weekly or even daily one. 

My goal is to pick up a habit each week to increase the self-care in my life. My goals include making my bed, flossing or writing what I’m grateful for — daily for a week and carrying that goal onto the next week. By the end of the year, I hope to have added nearly 52 habits, for each week of the year. 

Most of all though, I want to be better about forgiving myself this next year. I am sure to mess up with this resolution, but I’m hoping my weekly check-ins will help me in achieving my goals and staying positive.

React to this Post

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments