Pictures are not only worth a thousand words, but also the precious memories embedded into them.

Cameras capture the image displayed in their range, but they also capture something else.

They memorialize a moment in time that will never happen again, but serve as a reminder of the exact feelings and emotions felt when the shutter went off.

After my friends and I found a parking spot Friday night and prepared ourselves to make the mad dash inside, we stopped.

Out of literally nowhere, it began to snow and snow hard. We decided to take pictures in the impromptu blizzard.

We danced around while the snow fell, and one friend employed her digital camera. We tried to catch the flakes on our tongues and our giggles punctured the otherwise silent night.

Now, we didn’t put the pictures in leather-bound albums or send them home captioned to our parents.

Instead, we did what any normal college student would do-we uploaded them onto Facebook.

Did these pictures deserve a more appropriate display case? Yes. But nowadays, no one physically shuffles through pictures. They need an electronic, user-friendly platform. And that is perfectly fine. Your pictures are worth viewing.

I read this survey once which stated the first item a person would save if their house caught fire were their photo albums.

They made me smile inside. The plasma TV they spent a couple grand on, their brand new car and even their family heirlooms didn’t hold a candle against pictures.

Call me crazy, but I don’t remember my first birthday.

Fortunately, there were cameras back in the early 90s, so every wonderful second of festivity was recorded. Now I look back and note that I am still a very messy cake eater.

As a generation, we’re good at taking pictures.

Almost everyone owns a point-and-shoot digital camera and could do a simply computer upload in a matter of seconds. However, although we’re all amateur photographers, let’s try to change up our subject matter.

Instead of documenting what you and your friends wore for St. Patrick’s Day in a few weeks, snap a few of all the shamrocks you decorated your dorm with.

Hate your car? Take a picture of it. In a few years when you’re all grown up and can afford a fancier model, you might just miss that old-fashioned automobile and all its costly quirks.

How about this one? Bad haircut. The one moment when you shy away from cameras like it’s the plague. Hold still and smile.

One day you’ll try to describe this monstrosity and find yourself happy you have pictorial evidence to prove your case.

Take pictures next time you’re outside and the snow is too pretty to ignore.

Save your pictures if there’s a fire. Those moments will never happen again, so don’t let them burn. Capture your embarrassing moments. They’re what make you, you.

Pictures don’t make us, but they remind us of who we are, where we came from and where we’re going to be.

Respond to Tara at

thenews@bgnews.com

React to this Post

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments