It’s that time in the semester where everyone sort of just wants to give up and curl up in bed watching Netflix all day. I know senioritis has kicked in for me and I’m only a junior. I can’t image what seniors must be feeling like. I found that just taking the time to destress this semester has helped me tremendously. Here are 10 ways that I destress and hopefully they are ways that can help you, too.

1. Blast your favorite playlist and dance

Dancing isn’t just a fun way to jump around and get loose! It has also been proven to improve psychological well-being and boost self-esteem, according to Psychology Today.

2. Hit the gym

Going to the gym is a great stress reliever. Getting active release, the good feeling endorphins that improve mood and clear your head, according to the National Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Association. Taking a yoga class is good for the mind, body and soul. You are focusing on one thing rather than everything else going on around you.

3. Netflix and chill

Take some time to chill and let yourself relax. You are a hard working college student that needs a break. Our bodies weren’t meant to keep going and going. Relaxing is a way to reduce the activity of stress hormones and improve concentration.

4. Treat yourself!

Pamper the stress away, but don’t over-do it at the same time. Treating yourself to an ice cream or dessert can help the stress go away temporarily. Just finished a 3-page paper this week? Go on that Target shopping trip you deserve.

5. Get outside

Yeah, it might not be the ideal weather to go outside, but feel the breeze on your face! Going for a walk is a great way to ditch the stress. The fresh air can clear the mind and let you think about life in a positive way.

6. Do something that will make you laugh

Laugh the stress away! When you laugh, it allows the body’s stress response to react and then cool down causing a relaxing feeling and endorphins come over you, according to the National Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Association. 

7. Get organized

Getting organized and cleaning can be a great way to practice mindfulness. This forces you to put other work aside and think about what you are doing now. Organization will keep the stress away by making things look cleaner and not having to worry about where to find things. A clean space makes for a clean mind.

8. Eat your favorite food

Stress can cause you to forget to eat or eat a lot. I’m guilty of both. Eating your favorite food will put you in a good mood and cause stress to decrease.

9. Have a friend’s night

Make time for your friends. It’s never a wrong idea to have a good time and rant to friends. Part of a healthy lifestyle is confining in friends for them to give you the boost and reassurance that everything will be okay and get done. 

10. Write

Not everyone likes to take the time to write but it can be helpful. You are probably writing on Twitter so why not take five minutes out of your day to write your thoughts and feelings down. It makes you less stressed. Even writing a to-do list and crossing things off of the list is great for the mind. It physically shows you that things are getting done.

Taking time for yourself and for having fun is great to have a stress free lifestyle.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.