“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade,” said literally everyone ever. It is an age-old saying. So much so I have no idea where it comes from. This saying is helpful in some cases, but what about the others?

What about when life throws you curveballs? Or hands you bricks? Or maybe even hands you lemons made of plastic?

The point I’m trying to make here is that whether we like it or not, life hands us things. The things life hands us are often much more complicated than lemons.

What do we do?

I personally have a bit of experience with this. Imagine merely being aware of your grandmother's existence for fifteen years and all of a sudden she lives with you part-time. It was hard. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t. I never knew what a true whirlwind of emotion was until I got to know my Nanna.

In hindsight, I couldn’t be more grateful for it all. My Nanna was here for a short time, but the memories will last for a lifetime. Through that experience I not only got to know who she was, but I learned a bit more of who I am.

So you’re probably thinking: “Yeah, that’s really cute in all, but what does that have to do with my life?”

I’m glad you asked.

When life throws us curveballs, what we have to do is the only thing we can: manage it. I began to learn how to do this with my Nanna, and it is still something I’m learning today.

How do we manage it?

We start by finding things that we’re grateful for. I have no idea why, but true gratitude creates a sense of peace within. It makes all of the troublesome things we encounter, seem a little bit less impossible.

The next thing we do is realize that we are not alone. Everyone, everywhere is dealing with something. There’s nothing wrong with struggling, but there is something wrong with a lack of a support system. People need people. So, whether it is a counselor, friend, significant other, etc.; find someone you can trust. Confide in them and don’t be afraid to let your true feelings show. We all need that from time to time.

Lastly, try to find a sense of beauty in your situation and focus on it. Find the beauty in everything, because when we do, life becomes a little more like fresh lemonade.

Thoughts? Email them at dovesept.2013@gmail.com

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.