reflection 5/9

Spring semester is coming to a finish, and in the next week as we depart Bowling Green for the summer — or in the case of the seniors — for quite a while, think of your time at BGSU.

What are your most memorable adventures? Do you remember your first day on-campus? Were you excited, scared or nervous? Are you leaving with regrets? What have you accomplished? What have you learned? About the world or about yourself?

There’s a variety of questions to ask yourself and a variety of conclusions one may come to, whether if it’s your completion of your first year of college, or if it was last weekend spent with a good friend.

However you’ve spent your first year or spent all four years, it’s time to continue reading and to turn to the next page of your life, thinking of the past few months to the last four years.

It is surreal to re-experience the heartache of friends who are graduating and leaving to live in full-time adulthood. They’ll be working in their designated careers, enjoying the remaining years of their early 20s, then onto dating and marriage, or traveling across the world, whatever fate has in store for their lives; anything but being in Bowling Green. Except for the occasional visit during Homecoming weekend or randomly during the course of the school year, they won’t be as near as they used to be.

It is also insane to think I’ve known my friends, from freshmen to seniors, for less than a year, and it’s like they’re already family. Through the newsroom, my church group and other things I have been a part of has bought new friends and new experiences with lovely people, and some of those lovely people are graduating next weekend.

It sucks because I won’t be able to call up a friend and talk, or go to Grounds for Thought to get coffee, or other small things around the town. They’re miles away, and the only form of communication is through call, text or FaceTime. However, I am very happy for all the seniors; it’s an exciting time to celebrate and commend them for their accomplishments over the years, and the future accomplishments as they take first steps into the world.

But, it still sucks they’re leaving. I couldn’t imagine, though, what it’d be like to be a university senior, graduating and not entirely sure of what you’re going to do following graduation.

The relation I can think of is graduating from high school last year, and I’ve learned one thing consistently over the last year that I can advise to all students: live for today because tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I understand there are nuances in life, but it is crucial to take time and find a piece in the present because time will not stop for anyone nor will it be promised to anyone tomorrow.

We hear this quite a bit from those posts on Instagram and other social platforms, but it’s the honest truth.

A lot of us tend to live in the past or consistently obsess over our unpredictable futures, which can affect how we live in the present, either positively or negatively. But, we have to remember whatever the past held for us and whatever the future holds for us, is a reality lived and one waiting to happen; it’ll remain a universal enigma.

Honestly, I’d be lucky to take my own advice because I may “forget” to follow the words I am saying. Actions speak louder than words, and I have yet to be consistent in the action of living in the moment. I get it; it’s not simple to just live in the present without thinking of past experiences and considering the future experiences. Remember, living day-by-day takes one step at a time and requires patience to endure each one.

Overall, I challenge you to live in the now because tomorrow is not promised to you.

I hope you’ve all had an amazing year and memories, and are looking forward to the summer!

Seniors, congratulations on graduation and I wish you the absolute best!

See you fall semester 2019, Falcons!

React to this Post

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments