Gun Laws 8/7

My deepest condolences go out to all BGSU students who are personally or indirectly affected by the recent acts of violence in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. President Rodgers recently tweeted out details in case any BGSU students would find it of value. A reminder that counseling is always available at the Falcon Health Center (419-372-208). 

There’s no easy way for a journalist to cover a shooting. Some will accuse journalists of sensationalizing shooters, thinking that a mock shooter will come along. Others will accuse journalists of not doing enough – for not calling the shooters out by name. Regardless, the pain, which reverberates across the nation is impossible to convey into words. 

Being a public relations and political science student, I am very accustomed to the 24-hour news cycle. I try my hardest to be up to date with the news so that I am able to inform my friends, family and coworkers around me. However, during this time of tragedy, I find myself nearly avoiding it. I try my hardest to be an optimistic person, and to be blunt, there’s nothing optimistic about a tragedy such as the ones that occurred in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. 

I am part of a generation that frequently practiced intruder drills in high school and is used to seeing tragedies like the ones at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and Sandy Hook Elementary on the news. I remember the heartbreaking speech from President Obama urging lawmakers to strengthen background check and gun laws. At the time, President Obama thought for sure there was no way lawmakers could ignore the concerns of citizens when the whole nation was obviously hurt by the actions of a person who was able to obtain an assault rifle. In the end, no legislation was passed. 

Being from rural America, the sight of a gun is not uncommon. Hunting is a sport for many and there is never a time where I have felt like hunting guns needed to be taken away from the general public. We have that right. However, being a threat to yourself and others limits that right, and most law-abiding citizens do not oppose more in-depth universal background checks. 

So why doesn’t gun legislation get passed? 

The general concern among voters is that there is too much money in politics. Major corporations such as the National Rifle Association publicly donate money to many politicians’ campaign funds. This leads these politicians to be influenced by big corporations, ignoring the concerns of their constituents. 

This is not just a Republican or Democrat concern. Both parties have their own share of money problems from various corporations. This is why politicians like newly-famed Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are so popular for only taking small-dollar donations.

Opposition from leaders, such as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, believe that these donations are just gifts, no matter how big the dollar amount. By accepting the donations of big corporations, the voice of these major corporations can be heard. 

Whether you agree with this system or not, one thing is for sure: these tragedies must stop so another generation is not plagued by bitter headlines and terrifying lockdown drills. I encourage everyone to stay informed with who you are voting for and their vision for the next generation of Americans.

React to this Post

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments