resolution-Vaughn

Upon arriving at college in the fall of 2016, I was filled with optimism and ambition towards my career. I was fully determined to applying myself and developing my skills to the highest degree in journalism. However, after some discouraging experiences with student media and some classes, that wave of enthusiasm quickly faded.

What followed was a shadow of pessimism about my own career path and a general disinterest in involvement. By fall semester 2018, I did not feel that journalism was the correct path for me, and I considered changing my major before it was too late.

However, during this semester, I was in classes with several students who are involved in student media. These individuals were integral to completely changing my outlook on my career and college life in half a semester.

Since that time, I have become far more involved than I have ever been, becoming the new web editor of the BG News and making several new friends. Overall, the last few months of 2018 have boosted my confidence to new heights. Therefore, for my New Year’s resolution I have decided to dedicate myself to doing the best job possible at the BG News.

I chose this as my resolution this year for a few reasons. The first being that I owe it to not only myself and to the people involved in student media to do the best job possible. Second, I think that giving this job my all will help me in a number of different areas that I also could improve. For example, being a web editor will help me to become a more organized person and not to improvise as much as I tend to.

But generally, I think that being in this position at the BG News will greatly help me to diversify my skills as a journalist. For many years, I was extremely focused on only writing journalistically. However, being an editor, I will have to think more about the bigger picture of the website and the publication.

I could have chosen a more specific resolution, like continuing to cut out sugar or reaching my one thousand film a year goal, but I think that this resolution is more encompassing.

So, I think that 2019 will be a formative year for me both as a person and as a journalist. I only hope that I can live up to my own expectations.

React to this Post

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Load comments